The Intergalactic Daily Message (D.M. - Die Emmers, get it, its frigging brilliant) Hosted by the Holiday House constituents in Cape Town. Spreading the good news to YOU, whilst creating the illusion that you never left home and we still love you.

Thursday, October 6

Pongo Accident report

Mister Big City Himself, Tim Pongweni, tells the the sordid tale of why he should stay off a bike:

"Basically after a grueling race. Where 6km prior to the accident I had been hit by double cramp in both legs, one leg in the quad and hamstring. I had to get off my bike and go thru that mental battle that I know we have all been thru in various competitions (that's why we do these things) After finally convincing myself that the cramps would go and that I had to finish the race I mounted my bike and began the battle up the last steady incline. Some dude yelled that there were only 2km left. When I heard this I thought hallelujah raise your game boy. As I
was getting into my stride I heard this loud hoot. I was well on the left hand side and thought that the hoot could not possibly be for me.

So I turned my head to check what was going on and as I did I heard this loud bang. As I heard the bang I felt myself launch into the air. As I launched into the air I remember saying to myself. Oh my god I have been hit by a car, oh my god look how high I am, oh my god this is the way I am going to die-this sucks! I hit the ground heavily. The impact and the flight reminded me of the days when you could be tackled in the air going for the high ball. No jokes I think I may have done a little tuckand roll, since only my left side was damaged. As I hit the ground panic struck. The double cramps hit me again and I saw this deep hole below my knee, I thought my leg was broken. I immediately flicked my toes to check whether I could feel them, then my fingers, cool everything in order. So I tried to get up and as I did sharp pain in my back. Fack my back is broken. So I lay there thinking this was it my back is broken over some fackin nowhere cycling race in the East of Jhb. This amazing lady Bridgette came and started talking me thru the pain and feeding me with water. Another woman ran across to find out if I was still alive and described how I flew in the air like a rag doll.

When Amos finally arrived I felt a bit of comfort. Well a bit of comfort, all I remember is Amos looking at me and looking as if he was about to burst into tears, and nobody likes to see a grown man crying. I don't think he could bring himself round to saying that everything would be alright! Not only is it when you are suspended 3m in the air do you realize that you should not take those close to you for granted. But also the running around that Amos, Mat and Berman did for me. It made me realize what great friends I have and how lucky I am to have formed such bonds. I don't think I will ever forget the accident, but mostly I don't think I will ever forget the kindness of the complete stranger Bridgette, and my friends".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|